National Quartet Convention 2011, Day 5
Moment of the Night
Collingsworth Family: Final three songs of set. The acapella encore to “That’s the Place I’m Longing to Go” was the night’s most exquisite moment musically. “Resurrection Morn” is a top-notch good-as-new big ballad. Kim Collingsworth’s closing piano solo, “Hallelujah Chorus,” received one of the most sustained and prolonged ovations I have ever heard at the National Quartet Convention—and perhaps the longest.
First runner-up: Greater Vision, “I Know a Man Who Can.” The fact that the Collingsworths had three songs equally deserving of making the list bumps them to the top spot, but even so, this is close behind. This song is to Chris Allman as “Oh What a Savior” is to Ernie Haase.
Second runner-up: Kingdom Heirs, “We Will Stand Our Ground.” Excellent and timely song, excellent performance.
Intriguingly, of all the groups and soloists appearing at the Gaither Sing-A-Long showcase, the two who received the strongest and warmest applause of welcome were Mosie Lister and Ryan Seaton. The set had few standing-ovation moments, but the closing numbers of “When I Survey the Wondrous Cross” (with the Nelons, Shame McConnell, and David Phelps) and “Worthy the Lamb” (Gaither Vocal Band) did bring the audience to its feet.
Song list and brief comments from Daniel’s Siblings. Additional commentary, in bold, from Daniel.
- Showcase Perfomance: Adam’s Voice: I Just Feel Like Something Good is About to Happen. The Links: Send the Light. Southern Sound: Great is Thy Faithfulness. The Rick Webb Family: The One Who Died so the Whole World Might be Free. Brought the crowd to their feet.
- Tim Lovelace on piano led audience in There’s Just Something About That Name.
- Kingdom Heirs: On The Gloryland Way, Jesus Showed Up, No Bones About It, What We Needed, We Will Stand Our Ground. The closing song deserved and won a standing ovation.
- Jeff Stice: Salute to the Troops (Partial standing ovation at least)
- Collingsworth Family: I Know, That’s The Place I’m Longing To Go, The Resurrection Morn, Hallelujah Chorus (standing ovation). See above!
- Pfeifers: We Shall Behold Him.
- Karen Peck and New River: Love with all Your Heart, Hold Me While I Cry, On the Banks of the Promised Land, What a Day That Will Be, Four Days Late, Hold to God’s Unchanging Hand (audience sing-along). Karen did brilliantly despite still fighting laryngitis.
- McKameys: Above and Beyond, God on the Mountain, Joy in the Journey, All That Matters (Eli feature), When Faith Steps In, I Made It By Grace. The McKameys threw their trademark enthusiasm into this set in full measure, especially on their current radio single, “When Faith Steps In.”
- Isaacs: Yours and Mine, (Called Bill Gaither up): No shortage, Why Can’t We, Love Lifted Me/In The Sweet By and By/Power In the Blood/Just Over In the Glory Land / I’ll Fly Away,
- Ivan Parker: Twenty-Four Hours a Day, I Am Whatever You Need, I Choose, When I Get Carried Away.
- Congregational Singing led by Gerald Wolfe: Medley: He Touched Me, Family of God, Because He Lives.
- Gaither Vocal Band: Journey to the Sky, Greatly Blessed, Highly Favored, Where No One Stands Alone, He is Here, Please Forgive Me (Partial standing ovation), He’s Alive (help from back up vocalists choir; standing ovation), Because He Lives.
- Greater Vision: I Know He Heard My Prayer, My Name I Lazarus, It Pays to Pray, I Know a Man Who Can. See above!
- Hoppers: I Will Serve Thee, Jerusalem, Something’s Happening (Kim had a strong delivery as usual), My Living shall Not Be in Vain, Shouting Time (they said they had run out of time, but the crowd demanded it, so they came back; the crowd was on their feet from the beginning).
- Perrys: Plan of Salvation, Blue Skies, Celebrate Me Home, I Wish I Could Have Been There (proceeded by a story about Andrew in Dallas Texas who was celebrating his 11th birthday–crowd on feet)
- Gold City: In My Robe of White, Peter James and John, When He Blessed My Soul, It Won’t Be Long, God’s Building a Church. Sounded solid over the live feed.
- Legacy Five: Destination Known, Just Because of You, Ask Me Why, Boundless Love. “Just Because of You” was a strong highlight.
- Brian Free & Assurance: Go Tell the World, Save Me A Seat at the Table, You Must Have Met Him, Never Walk Alone, Jesus Will Pick You Up.
- Closed with Gold City, Perrys, Legacy Five and Brian Free and Assurance: Long as I got King Jesus.
For more about all things Gaither and Brian Free and Assurance and Gold City and Greater Vision and Karen Peck and New River and Legacy Five and the Collingsworth Family and the Hoppers and the Isaacs and the Kingdom Heirs and the McKameys and the National Quartet Convention and the Perrys—and other Southern Gospel news and commentary—follow our RSS feed or sign up for our email updates!