Saturday News Roundup #93
- Valor III: Long-time Blackwood Brothers bass singer Ken Turner has joined Valor III. The group will now be known as “Ken Turner & Valor III.” (An aside: Singing News states, oddly, that Turner spent 25 years with the Blackwood Brothers; he joined in about 1971 and left in about 1986, making it closer to fifteen years.)
- Dills: The Dills are experimenting with a crowd-funding model for their new worship recording. Much like Kickstarter projects, there are different rewards for different levels of contributions. Check it out here.
- McKameys: In the McKameys’ latest news update, posted on their website, they shared that their hometown, Clinton, Tennessee, presented them with a Lifetime Achievement Award on October 1. They commented: “What an honor! We were humbly surprised. A lifetime achievement award for 31 years of full-time and faithful service in traveling and singing Gospel Music and Telling the Story of Jesus Christ! What an honor to be recognized by your own home-town!”
- Ollis Family: Former Whisnants / Dixie Melody Boys pianist Eric Ollis, his wife Laura, and their oldest son Payton have announced a family music ministry. Eric started accompanying Laura in her appearances at ladies’ conferences in 2008. The Ollis family will be scheduling conferences, worship events, and concerts. More information will be available at mountainridgeministries.com.
- Plainsmen: Ernie Couch & Revival has posted an extensive history of the Plainsmen here. (Warning: There is a swear word in a direct quotation at one point.)
- Weatherfords: The Weatherfords recently announced on Facebook that have finally gotten licensing clearance to reissue their classic recording, In the Garden (1959), on CD. It will be available for purchase here.
Here is what is likely the first professionally recorded video of Wilburn & Wilburn, from their recent TBN taping:
Upcoming CD Reviews:
- 11/4: Amen (Down East Boys)
- 11/11: Everlasting Truth (Michael Booth)
- 11/18: Songs from the Heart (Triumphant Quartet)
- 11/25: Baptized on Sunday (Penny Loafers)
- 12/2: American Christian (Melody Boys Quartet)
- 12/9: A Country Campmeeting (Palmetto State Quartet)
- 12/16: Step Up (Torchmen Quartet)
- 12/23: Journey (Libbi Perry Stuffle)
- 12/30: A Country Campmeeting (Three Bridges)
- 1/6: You’ve Got to Believe (Homeland Harmony Quartet)
- 1/13: A Wonderful Life (Legacy Five)
- 1/20: A Country Campmeeting (Triumphant Quartet)
- 1/27: Steve Ladd (Steve Ladd)
- 2/3: God’s Been Faithful (Liberty Quartet)
- 2/10: The Call is Still the Same (Dixie Melody Boys)
- 2/17: Turn to the Cross (Sanctuary Quartet)
- 2/24: Family Ties (Wilburn & Wilburn)
- 3/2: Living in Grace (Cavaliers Quartet)
(Dates subject to change, if a really incredible CD comes along that we just have to bump up the line, or if a publicist bugs us enough that we bump a CD up and/or cancel the review.)
It’s open thread Saturday; you decide!