Songs from Leviticus
This is the third entry in a series on Songs from the Books of the Bible.
Southern Gospel songs focus on many of the highest themes known to mankind—songs of Salvation, the Cross, the Resurrection, and eternity. But critics claim that they focus on these themes to the exclusion of other Biblical themes which are appropriate and perhaps necessary to address in song.
For how many chapters in Leviticus can we find Southern Gospel songs addressing their themes?
This one, it turns out, is quite the challenge, because Leviticus contains one of the smallest percentages of narrative text in the Bible, and narrative text inspires a high percentage of songs. But surely we can find more than the three I named below!
- Leviticus 1-7: Laws for specific offerings
- Leviticus 8-9: Consecration of Tabernacle
- Leviticus 10: Sins of Nadab and Abihu and of Eleazar and Ithamar
- Leviticus 11: Clean and unclean animals
- Leviticus 12-15: Personal uncleanliness laws
- Leviticus 16: Day of Atonement / Most Holy Place / Scapegoat
- Leviticus 16: One Holy Lamb (Poet Voices / Tribute Quartet)
- Leviticus 17: Further sacrificial laws
- Leviticus 18-20: Personal conduct laws
- Leviticus 21-22: Laws for the priesthood
- Leviticus 23: Laws for the Sabbath and the feasts (Passover, Unleavened Bread, First Fruits, Pentecost, Trumpets, Day of Atonement, Tabernacles)
- Leviticus 24: Laws for the Oil for the Lamps and the Shewbread
- Leviticus 25: Laws for the Sabbath Year and the Year of Jubilee (The only Jubilee songs that come to mind from Southern Gospel don’t specifically address the Old Testament custom, but they were nonetheless inspired by this passage)
- Leviticus 25: Jubilee’s A-Comin’ (Statesmen, Blue Ridge Quartet, Triumphant Quartet, Royce Mitchell)
- Leviticus 25: Heaven’s Jubilee (Blue Ridge Quartet, Brian Free & Assurance, Chuck Wagon Gang, Gaither Homecoming Friends, Gold City, Greater Vision, The Hoppers, Legacy Five, The Old Paths, Poet Voices, Songfellows, Speer Family
- Leviticus 25: Jubilee (“The Happy Jubilee”) (Booth Brothers/Legacy Five/Greater Vision, Gospel Singing Jubilee, The Kingsmen, The Rambos, Stewart Varnado)
- Leviticus 26: I’ve Made a Covenant With My Lord (Kingsmen)
- Leviticus 26: God’s covenant with Israel
- Leviticus 27: Laws of consecration
What others come to mind?