Songs from I Samuel
This is the ninth entry in a series on Songs from the Books of the Bible.
Southern Gospel songs focus on many of the highest themes known to mankind—songs of Salvation, the Cross, the Resurrection, and eternity. But critics claim that they focus on these themes to the exclusion of other Biblical themes which are appropriate and perhaps necessary to address in song.
For how many chapters in I Samuel can we find Southern Gospel songs addressing their themes?
- Chapters 1-2: Birth of Samuel; wickedness of sons of Eli
- Chapter 1: Hannah Prayed (Jeff & Sheri Easter)
- Chapter 3: Samuel hears the Word of the Lord
- Chapter 4: Philistines conquer Israel
- Chapter 5: Philistines and the ark of the covenant; Dagon falling before the ark
- Chapter 6-7: The ark returns to Israel
- Chapter 8: Israel rejects Samuel’s sons as judges
- Chapters 9-12: Saul becomes king
- Chapter 13: Saul’s sacrifices
- Chapter 14: Saul curses (ultimately) Jonathan
- Chapter 15: God rejects Saul
- Chapter 16: Samuel anoints David
- Chapter 16:7: All That Matters (McKameys)
- Chapters 16-17: David (Three Bridges)
- Chapter 17: David and Goliath
- Chapter 17: Only a Boy Named David (Gaither Vocal Band)
- Chapter 17: David and Goliath (Imperials, Perrys)
- Chapter 17: When Compared to God (Mark Trammell Trio)
- Chapter 17: Poor Goliath (Mark Bishop)
- Chapter 17: Common Little Things (Kingdom Heirs)
- Chapter 17: Little Bitty Mustard Seed (Kingdom Heirs)
- Chapter 17:47: Little David (Freemans, Dove Brothers)
- Chapter 18: David and Jonathan covenant; Israel exalts David; Saul tries to kill David
- Chapter 18: Blood Covenant (The McKameys)
- Chapter 19-24: Saul tries to kill David
- Chapter 25: Samuel dies
- Chapters 25-30: Saul tries to kill David; David lives with Philistines
- Chapter 31: Saul killed
What others come to mind?