Southern Gospel Christmas Songs
Edit: By the way, this is my personal 1000th post on this blog.
Southern Gospel artists recording a Christmas album typically use a mix of carols and secular Christmas songs. But there have been some excellent songs written for and recorded by Southern Gospel artists.
If you were recording a CD and chose to only use songs written or originally recorded within our genre, what songs would you choose? Are there enough that you could come out with a strong project?
Here are five that come to mind:
- Glory to God in the Highest (Inspirations, Brian Free & Assurance, Old Friends, Signature Sound / written by Daryl Williams)
- Mary, Did You Know (Gaither Vocal Band / lyrics by Mark Lowry)
- Tonight (Signature Sound / written by Gloria & Benjy Gaither)
- It’s Jesus (Mark Trammell Trio / written by Dianne Wilkinson)
- His Name Was John (Perrys / writen by Ronald Martin and Kyla Rowland)
With that, perhaps, as a start, can any of you come up with a list of ten SG-originated Christmas songs you would like to record on a SG Christmas project?