Saturday News Roundup #185
- The Kingdom Heirs’ current radio single—”Just Beyond the Sunset,” penned by Dianne Wilkinson—will be #1 on the October 2013 Singing News chart.
- Perrys baritone Bryan Walker married Bethany Allred last Saturday. Perrys alumni Loren Harris filled in for Walker during his honeymoon.
- Gaither Vocal Band lead singer Michael English’s father, Clifton Aubine English, passed away on Wednesday. Here’s an obituary.
- Aaron Wilburn had gall bladder surgery on Tuesday. He is recovering well.
- Bill Dykes, former baritone for The Cathedrals and for Jerry and the Singing Goffs, is recovering from major colon surgery.
- Karen Peck & New River has renewed their recording contract with Daywind, signing a multi-album deal. Karen commented, “We are very honored to be a part of the Daywind family. We are excited about what The Lord has in store for our future together!”
- Danny Funderburk, Ernie Haase (with Ernie Haase and Signature Sound), Scott Fowler (with Legacy Five), Mark Trammell (with the Mark Trammell Quartet), and Gerald Wolfe (with Greater Vision) were in the studio this week, recording vocals for a Cathedral Family Reunion CD, to be released this November. The album, announced in May, will at least be released in conjunction with Ernie Haase’s Stow Town Records. Stow Town is distributed by Provident/Sony. Provident/Sony releases a sales book marketing their new releases each quarter; Landon Beene, executive producer for the project, announced on Facebook this week that Provident will feature this CD on the cover of their 4th quarter book, and that this is the first time a Southern Gospel release is the cover feature.
Thanks to MusicScribe’s Diana Brantley, here’s our first look at the new Dixie Echoes lineup:
Also worth watching:
Now this, my friends, is what a Kingsmen concert is supposed to sound like!
A third video worth watching: Ernie Haase & Signature Sound lead singer Devin McGlamery released a solo album several months ago. This week, he released his first concept video, based off of one of the songs from that album. It is posted here.
It’s open thread Saturday—you decide!
For more about Aaron Wilburn and all things Gaither and Danny Funderburk and Ernie Haase and Signature Sound and Greater Vision and Karen Peck and New River and Legacy Five and the Cathedrals and the Dixie Echoes and the Kingdom Heirs and the Mark Trammell Quartet and the Perrys—and other Southern Gospel news and commentary—follow our RSS feed or sign up for our email updates!