Dove Nominees Announced
The nominees in the 2010 Dove Awards were announced yesterday. Southern Gospel picked up about thirty nominations, including a number in the high-profile overall categories.
Producer Wayne Haun picked up seven nominations, more than any other nominee from any genre. (Edit: As Chris points out in the comments, early reports were mistaken; Bernie Herms picked up one more, with eight nominations.) His nominations are mostly producer credits for various nominated songs and albums, but do include a nomination for Producer of the Year.
Jason Crabb was tied for second-most nominations (with six); most were in Southern Gospel and Country Gospel categories, but he did also pick up nominations for Male Vocalist of the Year and in the most prestigious category, Artist of the Year.
Speaking of male vocalist, the nomination generating the most buzz in our genre is Michael English’s nomination for Male Vocalist of the Year—almost certainly his first in the category since 1994. (He was a part of three awards since, two producer credits for the Martins and one for Signature Sound’s Get Away Jordan.) The male vocalist nomination is unquestionably due in part to the prodigal-comes-home narrative grabbing voters’ hearts—but musically, it’s due to his work as the lead singer for the Gaither Vocal Band. Southern Gospel is once again enough of a presence in the genre for a quartet / quintet lead singer could pick up a nomination in the overall male vocalist category. (Edit, 2/20/10: Michael English confirmed that it is his first nomination in 16 years.)
Karen Peck picked up a similarly prestigious nomination, in the Female Vocalist of the Year category.
The Gaither Vocal Band picked up a nomination for Group of the Year. While the chance that they could win is a long shot, it’s not entirely impossible.
Other Southern Gospel nominees include:
Song of the Year (overall)
- “Born To Climb”; Jeff & Sherri Easter
- “Somebody Like Me”; Jason Crabb
- “Why Can’t All God’s Children Get Along”; Karen Peck & New River
Southern Gospel Recorded Song of the Year
- “Because He Lives”; Gaither Vocal Band Reunited; Gaither Vocal Band
- “Born To Climb”; Expecting Good Things; Jeff & Sheri Easter
- “If You Knew Him”; Almost Morning; The Perrys
- “Life Goes On”; Life Goes On; Talley Trio
Country Recorded Song of the Year
- “Somebody Like Me”; Jason Crabb; Jason Crabb
- “Thank God For Kids”; Every Light That Shines At Christmas; Ernie Haase & Signature Sound
Southern Gospel Album of the Year
- Almost Morning; The Perrys
- Gaither Vocal Band Reunited; Gaither Vocal Band
- North America Live!; The Hoppers
- Treasure; Janet Paschal
- Worth It; Brian Free & Assurance
Christmas Album of the Year
- Every Light That Shines At Christmas; Ernie Haase & Signature Sound