Singing News Fan Awards nominees announced
Singing News posted their top 10 Fan Awards nominees here. As it frequently is year to year, there are few surprises. A couple of things I noted:
- David Phelps and Michael English picked up nominations for tenor and lead, respectively. Despite what some anticipated, it looks like Southern Gospel’s more traditional wing is ready to welcome them back.
- In the favorite musician category, there are nine men and one woman, as it has been the last few years. Triumphant remains hot right now, so Jeff Stice is probably the frontrunner. A woman has never won this award, but don’t be surprised to see Kim Collingsworth pick it up one of these years.
- There seems to be this sense on various Southern Gospel message boards that “If You Knew Him” is the front-runner for song of this year. Online prognosticators haven’t always accurately represented the pulse of the print readership, of course, but don’t be surprised to see that one as the front-runner this year.
- Congratulations to the Blackwood Brothers for their first top 10 Male Quartet nomination in a long time.
- It looks like the Mark Trammell Quartet didn’t sing their first date with Pat Barker in time to be listed in the quartets category. I believe that the change was announced by the eligibility period, but apparently the first date together was the dividing line. There is really no reason not to list Pat Barker in his current group on the next ballot, though. I seem to think there may be precedent for updating group affiliation, but I can’t quite remember it right now.
- Guy Penrod is nominated in the soloist category. Could he give Ivan Parker a run for his money?
- The Horizon Individual is a wide-open category this year. Gus Gaches and David Ragan both come from perennial fan favorite groups, Pat Barker has a solid fan base of his own, and both Bryan Elliot and Brian Alvey have at least a long-shot chance.