Ask and Ye Shall Receive
John Scheideman recently posted a response to a discussion I started in this post. It’s a good read that I mostly agree with. He closed by expressing the wish that I list my favorite iterations of the Cathedral Quartet, in order. Ask and ye shall receive:
- Haase, Payne, Fowler, Younce, Bennett
- Tremble, Payne, Webster, Younce, Cooley
- Talley, Payne, Trammell, Younce, Bennett
- Clark, Payne, Koker, Younce
- (tie with #6) Taunton, Payne, Webster, Younce
- (tie with #5) Funderburk, Payne, Trammell, Younce, Wolfe
- Funderburk, Payne, Trammell, Younce, Bennett
One thing you will notice is that I generally list them by tenor, because the tenors defined their sound far more than most of their baritones did. This does eliminate a few short-lived combinations (such as the Horne and Young eras).
DISCLAIMER: The above is strictly opinion. It is opinion based on having heard nearly everything that every named version recorded, but it remains opinion.