The Thousand Comment Contest
When I find duplicate Southern Gospel recordings in my collection, I set them aside for the next contest. I’ve accumulated enough that it’s time for a new contest.
This one is pretty simple: The top 5 most active commenters on this site between now (7 AM ET on Monday, June 21) and a week from today (7 AM ET on Monday, June 28) will win one of the following prizes:
- Booth Brothers, Declaration (CD)
- Dave, Duane, and Neil (original Couriers), Changing World…Unchanging Christ…Changeless Sound (CD)
- Various Artists, Sunday In the Country (CD) (Keith Urban, Trace Adkins, Diamond Rio, Josh Turner, Vince Gill etc.)
- Hoppers, Never Thirst Again (tape plus mp3 if desired)
- McKameys, With His Power (tape plus mp3 if desired)
- Spencers, The Unseen Hand (tape plus mp3 if desired)
- Spencers, I’d Like to Go Home Again (tape plus mp3 if desired)
So why is it called the Thousand Comment Contest? If this site receives more than 1,000 comments during these seven days, I will personally purchase the winner a single CD of their choice from Springside.com or CrossroadsMusic.com.
A thousand comments is easily attainable; we’ve had a number of weeks where there have been several hundred comments. Crunch the numbers: If just 20 people actively comment this week, it would only take 7.1 comments per person per day to reach 1,000 total.
Of course, make comments of some substance; comments that are completely off-topic, repetitive (copy and paste), or very short (fewer than 5 words) won’t count toward winners’ totals.
Comments on older posts count. Here are a number that could still prompt relevant discussion:
- The Key to the Lari Goss Sound (June 2010)
- What Do You Say Between Songs? (May 2010)
- Christmas Programming on SG Radio (December 2009)
- Imaging a Post-Gaither Genre (November 2009)
- The Best Songs Possible (October 2009)
- Publicity in a Post-Radio Genre (September 2009)
- Amateurs Hour (December 2008)
- iTunesability (November 2008)
- Northern Gospel (October 2008)
- Weight in Southern Gospel (March 2008)
- What Makes a song a classic? (June 2007)
- Is Traditional Southern Gospel still Viable? (April 2007)
- Historical Re-enactment in Southern Gospel (April 2007)
- On Liner Notes (September 2006)
This site is a few posts away from 1,800 posts, so there should be plenty to talk about!
For anyone who may be obsessive enough to count how many comments someone else has, here’s the comment feed.