NQC posts 2008 schedule
The National Quartet convention just posted their 2008 schedule. While I’ll wait for DBM to give the schedule his usual detailed and insightful analysis, a few preliminary observations:
- The big news, of course, is that the Gaither Vocal Band and Signature Sound are back, in the Friday night lineup.
- It seems like there are fewer groups on Monday night. If every group got an equal amount of time, they would have 24 minutes. Since there will be a few that likely won’t get that, it makes me wonder if they’re going to permit some of the biggest draws to have a half hour or more.
- Also speaking of Monday, it looks like they’ve re-instituted quartet night. Granted, three other groups also appear–the Booth Brothers, the Perrys, and the Mark Trammell Trio–but they are three of the four top non-quartet draws in the business (Greater Vision retaining their usual Tuesday night slot).
- Names missing: No Palmetto State, no Mercy’s Mark, no Anchormen and no Driven, and no trace yet of the Browns or Jimmy Blackwood’s Blackwood Brothers Quartet. No Ball Brothers, though they did have and staff a booth this past year. And, almost unbelievably, still no Collingsworth Family.
- I guess being a part-owner of NQC (not sure if Stewart Varnado’s a full-fledged board member or not) doesn’t come with an absolute guarantee of three slots, since the Dixie Echoes only have two slots, Monday and Thursday.
All in all, while a few groups I’d enjoy seeing aren’t there this year, it looks like it will be a great year for NQC and for Southern Gospel.