Site Update: Cathedral Quartet reference section
Almost five years ago, I launched cathedralstribute.com, a site with a history, individual member history, lyrics reference section, discography, and other features about the Cathedral Quartet. Today marks the end of an era; after consultation with a number of friends, I have decided to shut the site down as a separate site, and roll its content into this site’s reference section, at /reference/cathedral-quartet.
This is for a few reasons:
- Visibility: This site gets far more traffic; as a separate site, it had very little.
- Maintenance: It’s far easier for me to keep it up to date when it’s accessed via an admin area I use daily.
- Security: I keep this site up to date with the latest security updates, but didn’t always with the Drupal-based install I used on the standalone site, since I could go 6-12 months without touching the admin area. (Now the cat is out of the bag, I suppose, but the bag has just been thrown away, so what’s the harm?)
- Search engine visibility: Search engines check active sites more frequently than sites which are static and virtually never updated.
- Album reviews: Since the launch of this site’s Cathedral Quartet album reviews series, it just makes sense to have the detailed reviews and the other historical data under the same roof.
Since CathedralsTribute.com was the first Southern Gospel site I ever launched (and my second overall), it’s somewhat of a bittersweet moment. But there is definitely the “sweet” aspect, since it will be far easier to keep up to date, and since the reasons listed above just make sense.
One other, minor, upgrade; to make it easier to navigate in the reference section, I installed “breadcrumbs” in the reference section, for more easy navigation: